Whilst I’m sure many of these places have scope for walks, this page houses those places we’ve visited for a proper day out, that don’t necessarily neatly fit into a walk category!
1. My absolute favourite day out is Yorkshire Wildlife Park. The annual pass is great value to return again and again (and again).
2. Beningbrough Hall (NT) near York is perfect to while away the hours on a sunny day!
3. Fountains Abbey (NT) near Ripon is an amazing day out. A World Heritage site, it combines perfect scenery with lots to do for children. From the Abbey, walk the easy 1 mile path to the Studley Park tea rooms.
4. Lotherton Hall outside Leeds is amazing value and is jam- packed with things to do, including Wildlife World, entrance to the house and a play ground included in admission (reduced price for Leeds card holders). Keep your eyes open for their fantastic events.
5. Thorp Perrow, near Bedale, is a perfect destination for a sunny day trip out. There is so much to explore in stunning woodland surroundings, with an adventure playground, and a Birds of Prey and Mammals centre.
6. Studfold Adventure Trails, Nidderdale has a great summer Fairy Trail for young children. If you’re in the area and want an activity that keeps them interested in the outdoors you can’t really go wrong!
7. Fairburn Ings, Wakefield (RSPB) provides loads of activities for children. You could spend a few hours Pond-Dipping and going on a mini- beast safari, followed by a picnic and walk in the afternoon!
9. Harewood House, north of Leeds is another great choice for a day out with children. The highlights include the Adventure Playground and Bird Garden.
10. Yorkshire Sculpture Park has walks around lakes and woodland, not to mention the 80 outdoor works of art to see. Visit the Families page on their website to find downloadable activities to do with children on your visit!
11. Cannon Hall Farm, Barnsley has all the best bits of a day at the farm as well as great play areas and quirky activities.